House in Matsubara
Home sweet home
with abounding sunlight and breezes
A two-story house for a married couple in their 40s with one daughter, located in residential area with scattered cultivations around. Thanks to the large land of 500sqm, a plan came up to have a courtyard with sunlight and breezes in the center and create a house in shape of a square frame. The area sticking out of the 2nd floor is a private room for the daughter living in a different daily life cycle from her parents.
Desires from the client
- Bright and well-ventilated space for the wife who spends lots of hours at home
- Be thoughtful about the “traffic lines” for the husband/wife and for the daughter living differently
- Dream to have a courtyard
- Has nine 3.6m x 3.6m rooms lined to form a shape of frame. Shuts out the eyes from outside but still keeps sunlight in and breezes through all spaces inside the house.
- Places a hallway all around the courtyard, which allows the family members to feel each other and let guests enjoy a walk around the courtyard.
- The daughter’s private room sticking out of the main frame-shaped building is accessible directly from the entrance; this distinguishes the 2 areas of the house, reflects the different life cycles among the family members and brings its awareness by emphasizing with colors and materials.
photo: akiyoshi fukuzawa