House in Kuwada-cho, Okayama
A house to live with the dear birds
This was a reforming of a room in an apartment in Kuwada Town, Kita Ward, Okayama City. We made a suggestion to create a space where a married couple and a pair of a white-bellied caique and a cockatiel can live together.
- We set a part of the living room as an area for the couple’s dear birds, and thought of a plan with that in the core.
consists of materials and colors that are completely different from the other parts of the house. Though there are no walls, there is a canopy furniture shaped like a gable that covers the area, so it shows that this space is something truly special for this residence.
- The birdcages can be put directly into the glass cases that were designed as wall storage. There are also lights, heater, cold air blower, air fan, ultraviolet lamp inside, so that it will be a confortable place for the couple’s dear birds. There is a curtain to roll down at the canopy furniture, so by pulling it down, the birds’ sleep will not be disturbed.
- There are noise absorbing material set near the furniture storing the birdcages, to make a structure that the birds’ chirp will not go outside. The furniture uses sliced veneer made of natural wood, but considering the maintenance, the interior of the glass cases has wood-tone melamine coated plywood boards of the same color fixed.
- In old apartments, there are cases when the main joist feels annoying, but in this reforming, we placed walls and boundaries at the place where the joist is, and cared so that its existence will not be emphasized.
- To get rid of the well-known “bouncy feeling” of the directly adhering flooring that can be seen in apartments, we considered well about re-covering the surface with 2mm solid wood and make it into a three-layer flooring (As for the noise barrier performance, we realized LL-45 mentioned in the bylaw of the apartment maintenance).
photo : akiyoshi fukuzawa
House in Kuwadacho, Okayama
|Location||Kita Ward, Okayama City|
|Usage||Dedicated dwelling house|
|Family structure||Married couple|
|Structure||RC (Reinforced Concrete) construction condominium|
|Total floor area||87.6 square meters|
|Total cost||8,000,000 yen|