House in Toyo-dai
A house with a dog running around inside
Two-story house for a 30s married couple with two (planned) kids on the property of approx. 280㎡. Located on top of the hill and surrounded by low-built houses, which creates a view of a broad sky and produces a nice residential environment. This house is rebuilt since the clients’ parents moved out.
The concept is “A house with a dog running around inside”. The couple has a dog as a family member. Well, the wife loves dogs but the husband loves cats on the other hand, and there were some “heated debates” about cats and dogs throughout the meetings with them….Anyway, it was designed to be a house for a fun life with humans and a dog.
Desires from the client
- Want to have separate rooms; feasible enough to keep a big dog inside the house and to have two kids in the future.
- Be thoughtful of the interior design to match with the existing Mid-Century Modern style furniture.
- Has three “dog-run” routes:
- 1st route – external periphery. Locates the house in the center of the land to keep enough open space around. A parking spot and an approach space on the north and west side, and a L-shape yard to sit along a living room from the east to south side. This place is expected to become a beautiful lawn yard in the future.
- 2nd route – along-the-house. A specious “path yard” from the entrance to the yard that allows wiping, washing, and drying the dog’s feet after a walk. Here is a medium zone between “up on the floor” and “down on the earth”.
- 3rd route – indoor. Connected rooms and spaces in a circle, from LDK through a Japanese room and an entrance hall to the “path yard”. Just like an old Japanese house, the Japanese room is directly accessible from the “path yard”. This “path yard” would be a cool and comfortable space for the dog during summer.
- Has a long bench along the wall facing to the yard. This makes an easier access to the yard and helps the “inside” and the “outside” feel closer. Getting outside with bare feet or sitting on the bench to see the kids playing the dog….would produce such a spiritually affluent time.
photo: takahiro shimokawa